Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Happy Farming

By Molly Dee

The atmosphere here at the Tierra Miguel Farm is drastically different from the atmosphere at Penn. Since we arrived, our leaders, Stem and Lauren, have asked us about our feelings and intentions towards farming, food, and the trip as a whole probably over a hundred times. As you can imagine, this is a huge juxtaposition to the Penn environment where we are focused and often stressed. At school, my professors don’t ask me about how I feel about what I happen to be learning, my friends don’t ask about my positive energy, and my employers don’t ask me to set an intention for my day. I must admit that at first, I was a little uncomfortable with all the touchy-feelyness going on here; however, as the days have passed, I have come to realize that talking about my feelings, intentions, and energy is extremely therapeutic and refreshing. Not only am I feeling relaxed and content, I have an intense sense of clarity. Back at school, it is truly difficult to find the time to really be aware of my feelings, desires, and internal energy. Here, I feel like I am encouraged to explore and discover things about myself. I can honestly say I haven’t felt this good in a while. The sunshine, fresh air, and amazing food has been good for my body, and all of the hippy dippy meditation and self reflection has truly been good for my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment